Friday, March 6

Crazy Day







It was a crazy day today (or yesterday since it is 2 am). First off we had a big spill in our fridge and so while I was cleaning the bottom drawer and the sides etc Chris took our glass shelf in to the bathtub to let it soak (yeah it was that bad). Well I'm not exactly sure what happened but somehow it slipped and shattered. Fun huh, this is a fridge we do not own. So we had to clean up that and we'll have to figure out what to do to fix it. So I had homework to work on and was doing that all day. The kids somehow got all sticky from something...I think I'll find a sucker stuck somewhere later. All in their hair, hands, everywhere but at least they were sharing something. :) So they had to be put in the bathtub, scrubbed, rubbed with lotion(mostly Nathan to avoid scratching) and clothed. Then they were given lunch. We really, REALLY need to go shopping and just have been putting it off due to schedules so I gave them something we really NEVER have in our home, like EVER.






PB sandwiches






For most of you this may be a normal, everyday lunch or snack. Not in my home. You see my husband is deathly allergic to nuts. Even the smell makes him nauseous. So I became a crazy mom who monitored each new food carefully, freaked out when people fed them something they hadn't been introduced to yet, etc. But it paid off Devan passed the test and is not allergic to anything. Nathan had a scare at his 1st birthday which you guys might remember I blogged about it here. But we held off and went slow again and by 12/13 months he was doing fine. He even broke into my purse at 11 months and finished off a bag of peanut m&ms. I was sure we were in the clear.






So they both gobbled down their half of a sandwich so I gave them both another one. While they were eating I went to go on my back porch and I broke our back door handle...yay huh fun stuff. So I was a little upset. Devan told me he had to go potty so we left Nathan in the high chair and went into the bathroom. While he sat I finished my hair to get ready for work.






Once Devan was done. I went out to check on Nathan because he was being a little ornery and I could hear him scratching (he has eczema bad). I had been calling out to him to stop scratching too.






I walk out and there are HIVES everywhere. His right eye was swelling fast and they were everywhere...so fast. So much faster than his birthday. I grabbed him up and frantically looked for my phone. I called Chris and when he didn't answer his cell, dialed his desk phone. I was bawling at this time. He said I'm coming home, hang up and call the doctor. I calmed down and called the nurse and she told me to give him Benadryl and I said but it is swelling so much this time. She said "this isn't his first reaction?" I told her Nathan had another 6 months ago but no repeats. I started bawling again and told her that Chris was deathly allergic to nuts and she said "for your peace of mind and to be cautious get to the ER."






Well my husband arrived and he is a little calmer than me. He took us to the InstaCare since that is where he went on his birthday. They were so wonderful. Took such good care of Nathan and Devan. While three were working with Chris on getting his weight, oxygen levels, watching breathing etc etc (since I wasn't watching), another helpful nurse was talking to Devan and showing him their "sick" automated elephant which sneezes (really cute he loved it). Nathan did so well this time no squirming.






We went to the exam room (which I found out they purposely took us to the "ambulance room" because of his breathing...so if they had to rush him to the ER they were ready) and they laid him on the bed and did a full body examination. His breathing got better. They gave him Benadryl and a steroid. Then we had 30 minutes of observation. The kids got OtterPops and were entertained well. They loved playing in the curtain in the room and jumping out at the nurse. They were so nice to us. Poor Chris kept having to console me because I was beating up on me pretty bad because I had given him the sandwich.






The doctor came back and they had cleared up a little but not as fast as last time. She stated that it was obviously a reaction and since he had only had goldfish (a normal commodity in our house) and the PB sandwich (an abnormality) it was obvious what it was. So my son is OFFICIALLY allergic to NUTS. AHHHH Exactly what I did not want to ever happen to my children. Not because they'll miss out on too much, you can ask Chris and he really doesn't care that he can't eat nuts, etc, but because now Nathan will always have to watch what he eats, what others give him, read labels etc. We have to educate people that our MAJOR mooch cannot eat anything off your plate. I mean this kid eats and eats and EATS. He grazes from plate to plate at family functions. I am so nervous about this.






Anyway wrap up Chris called work and had to run back in after so we sat in the car and Nathan was wiped out from the Benadryl and slept then we had to go get the prescription steroid that we'll keep him on for days for cautionary purposes. Side note we finally signed up and let Devan play in Playland. We always forget until we are checking out that Smith's Marketplace has it. He loves it so much. So we grabbed a little food and prescriptions and came home.






I called my team lead and left a message and sent text messages to my co-workers who were awesome and said they were fine without me so I could monitor Nathan. He was scratchy for awhile and the redness and swelling took its time to completely go away but finally he looks and was acting normal. After his dose of Benadryl he went down for the night. But we made it. So there is our day! Here are a could cell phone pics of the day.

We took the socks off his feet and put them on his hands so he would stop itching.

Oh and here is our Pink Oreo picture from the Wedding. Three sisters: Brindi, Sasha, Brionne.

4 comments:

coley said...

cute pic of the pink oreo. my brother in law is alergic to nuts as well, and when me and steve got married my grandma wanted to have nuts mixed with the plain m&ms. it took me forever to convice her that its not a good idea to mix those. she thought i was joking! but he doesn't seem to care on "missing out" on stuff. i'm glad that the boys are doing ok now!

Unknown said...

SO SCARY, I can't imagine. We know Clarysa is allergic to something because she had a reaction like this in December but we couldn't figure out what it was because we were at a party . . . blah. I don't envy anyone that has to deal with special diets. Good Luck

Kori said...

Definitely a crazy day! I've felt really lucky to not have any of my kids show signs of food allergies. Harris is almost totally in the clear with trying new foods, too. It would definitely be a life-changing thing. Good luck!

Gombessa said...

Wow, looks like Murphy's Law was in full effect in your house! Hope he is doing better, food allergies can be really scary!!!